In Peru we are fanatics of chicken, we love it! We eat it in many presentations, we have several world famous recipes that have this delicious poultry meat as a protagonist, and in general, it is part of our daily life. The Pollo Chijaukay is one of those dishes. It is part of the chifa gastronomy and its particular marinade makes your mouth water. Do you know it? In this article we will tell you all about it. Let’s go!
Chifa Pollo Chijaukay: origin and characteristics of an unforgettable dish
Ver esta publicación en Instagram
As already mentioned, the Pollo Chijaukay is one of the most famous dishes of the chifa gastronomy. That is, it is a recipe that is part of the Chinese-Peruvian fusion.
Chifa food was born in Peru in the mid-19th century, with the arrival of the first Cantonese migrants to our country. Their traditional food began to mix with local ingredients and habits and from there was born a whole culinary repertoire of which dishes such as chaufa rice, wantan soup, Tipakay chicken and, of course, the Pollo Chijaukay are part of.
Chijaukay chicken is crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and its characteristic flavor is salty. To guarantee this result it is necessary to know three facts:
The base sauce:
It makes the difference because of the flavor obtained from natural spices such as ginger (kion), garlic, pepper and chifa sauces, mainly oyster and soy.
The frying technique must be very well controlled so that the chicken is crispy when it comes out of the pan and maintains its juiciness. The fire in the right measure will guarantee a perfect cooking of the Chijaukay.
If you make a perfect frying of your dish, no doubt you will also be able to make a very precise cut in squares of your Pollo Chiaukay, of which we must take care to keep it with its crispy skin.
Chijaukay chicken is easy to prepare at home
Although Chijaukay chicken is a high caliber dish, the truth is that it is very easy to prepare and its ingredients are almost always available at home. So we share with you a step-by-step of this recipe in case you want to take on the challenge of preparing it in your kitchen.
Ingredients for the sauce:
- Kion (ginger)
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 3 wedges of Chinese onion (white part)
- A little green Chinese onion
- 1 large yellow chili bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- ½ tablespoon of sugar
- 400cc of chicken broth
- 5 spoonfuls of sillao
- A spoonful of chuño, corn starch (30 grs.)
- Half a tablespoon of sesame oil
Preparation of the sauce:
- Put oil in the pan, the chion, garlic and sauté a little, then add the chicken broth, onion and chili. Let it boil for 20 minutes and lower the heat.
- Strain and return to the pot, add the oyster sauces and 4 tablespoons of soy sauce or soy sauce, at this time add the corn starch that we previously diluted in water.
- Let it cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until it thickens. Now we have our delicious base sauce. Cover and store.
Ingredients for the dish:
- Boneless chicken (2 thigh and leg joints, we leave the skin on)
- Salt and pepper (for seasoning)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- Half a cup of cornstarch (corn starch)
- We use a bowl and place the cleaned and boned chicken, season it with salt and pepper and add the egg, mix well and if we are not in a hurry we let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- Now we pass it through the chuño several times.
- We put abundant oil (800 grs) in the frying pan, covering all the chicken pieces. Fry for 8 minutes and at the end of this time remove and drain on absorbent paper. Check that your chicken is crispy and juicy.
- Now use a sharp knife and cut very carefully into small squares to avoid the chicken from falling apart from its crispy skin.
- After cutting, take it to the plate and cover with the base sauce. Our Pollo Chijaukay is ready! Now get ready to enter into a fascinating taste experience.
Arroz Chaufa con Pollo Chijaukay: the perfect pairing for the perfect meal
We want to give you one last tip: the perfect accompaniment to Chijaukay Chicken is a good chaufa rice.
Chaufa rice is another emblematic dish of Chifa gastronomy and is nothing more than the Peruvian version of Chinese fried rice.
You can find chaufa rice in different presentations. Every home and every chifa restaurant has its own particular touch. You can find it with vegetables only, with chicken, meat, suckling pig, shrimp, or with several of these ingredients at the same time. It is a festival of flavors!
In Peru we usually combine both recipes to have a complete lunch or dinner. So, if you are interested in having an authentic chifa experience, our recommendation is that you do exactly that: order at your favorite chifa restaurant a combination of Arroz Chaufa con Pollo Chijaukay. And bon appetit!
Looking for Pollo Chijaukay Peruano in Miami? Come to Chifa Dukang!
Ver esta publicación en Instagram
If you are in Miami and looking to try this classic flavorful battered dish close to home, your best option is Chifa Du Kang.
On our menu we have Pollo Chijaukay Peruano prepared with the traditional recipe and six versions of chaufa rice. You will feel like you are in Peru! You can also enjoy many other dishes of Chinese-Peruvian fusion gastronomy such as Lomo Saltado and Tipakay Chicken.
We are a family restaurant that takes you on a direct trip to Peru thanks to an exotic fusion of flavors. We are located at Kendall and Bird Road.
Come to Chifa Du Kang today and get to know Peru’s best kept gastronomic secret!