If you are already familiar with chifa food, you probably know that its menu is full of very hearty dishes that will leave any stomach happy. Arroz chaufa, lomo saltado, or pollo tipakay, for example, are capable of satisfying even the most voracious diner, that is part of the charm of this wonderful cuisine. But something you may not know is that in addition to these main courses, there are also delicious chifa appetizers that can accompany you on a snack table or offer to your guests as a bite. Would you like to know the most popular one? Let’s see the fried wonton recipe.
Fried wonton recipe: The wantan frito peruano you need to know
First, a clarification: we present you with a simple recipe that you can make with wonton wrappers that you can buy at the supermarket. This way of preparing the dish is ideal if it is your first time with this food. It will taste just as delicious.
But if you want the full experience, below we leave you as a bonus track the recipe for wonton dough. There you will be unlocking a level of expert chifa cook. Start where you feel most comfortable. Let’s go to the kitchen!
- 1 package wonton wrappers (about 40 wrappers)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece ginger, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, onion, garlic, ginger, egg, cornstarch, water, salt, and pepper. Mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- Place a wonton wrapper in the palm of your hand and place 1 tablespoon of filling in the center.
- Fold the wonton wrapper in half to form a triangle.
- Press the edges of the wrapper together with your fingers to seal in the filling.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry the wontons in batches for 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain the wontons on paper towels to remove excess oil.
Serve the fried wontons immediately with your favorite sauce, such as soy sauce, oyster sauce, or sweet and sour sauce.
- For crispy wontons, it is important to fry them in hot oil.
- If the wonton wrapper is dry, you can add a little water to the filling mixture to make it more moist.
- If you do not have wonton wrappers, you can use gyoza or wonton wrappers.
- For a spicier flavor, you can add chopped jalapeño pepper to the filling.
- For a sweeter flavor, you can add a little sugar to the filling.
- You can add other ingredients to the filling, such as mushrooms, vegetables, or cheese.
Bonus track: the wonton dough recipe
It’s not difficult, but it does require some skill. Keep in mind that for this dough, consistency is key, and to achieve that, you need to pay close attention not only to the recipe, but also to your intuition.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Make a well in the center and add the cold water.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together until they form clumps.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes or until it is soft and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Wrap each piece of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Once the dough is cold, sprinkle a little flour on a smooth surface.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it is about 2 mm thick.
- Cut the dough into circles about 5 cm in diameter.
- Store the dough in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- For a softer dough, use cold water.
- If the dough is too dry, add a little more water.
- If the dough is too wet, add a little more flour.
- Sprinkle a little flour on the work surface to prevent the dough from sticking.
- If you don’t have a rolling pin, you can use a glass to roll out the dough.
Not in the mood for cooking but in the mood for chifa? Chifa Du Kang is your place
Ver esta publicación en Instagram
Whether you’re craving for a chifa appetizer like fried wontons, or a main course like lomo saltado, you’ll find it at Chifa Du Kang. We have the best chifa menu in Miami, and we’re located in three hotspots so you can visit us at the one that’s closest to you: Kendall Drive, Bird Road, and Doral.
We have the most pleasant informal atmosphere in the city. Come with family, friends, colleagues, or that special someone and feast on everything we have to offer. Remember that our recipes have been perfected to suit the American audience.
Hey! Important! If you want to try our food at home, we also offer delivery and take-out service.