The Chinese food known in Venezuela is quite particular. Its version is the result of the first great migration of Cantonese Chinese who conquered the palate of the locals by tropicalizing their recipes to guarantee the success of their restaurants. Thus was born a dish that today is considered traditional in the country and that was adapted by changing the white rice for one seasoned with a variety of ingredients and flavors. Want to how to make arroz chino venezolano? Grab this recipe!
Arroz Chino Venezolano: these are its roots
At the end of the 19th century, the first migration of Chinese arrived in Venezuela and many other Latin American countries. Their strategy to survive in a new country, with a different culture and customs, was to introduce the local palate to one of the main representatives of Cantonese gastronomy, fried rice.
But the restaurants opened by these immigrants soon had to adapt to local tastes in order to survive; and to ensure success, the strategy was to tropicalize their recipes by using emblematic ingredients in the country that could be easily found in the market, such as sweet chili.
Commercially, Chinese white rice was a failure. Therefore, in order to improve their sales, they made great variations to their traditional recipe, based on the foods sold in the markets and the taste of local cuisine to season and prepare their dishes.
There are chroniclers who defend the theory that arroz chino venezolano, as well as its versions in Latin America, was just an experiment whose purpose was to take advantage of food leftovers and make the most of them by mixing it with rice. Luckily, it turned out well!
Returning to the Venezuelan recipe, it is clear that its origin is in the Cantonese fried rice; creating a dish based on the elaboration of fried rice with an oriental touch, and a fusion of native ingredients: sweet bell pepper, chicken, bacon and more.
Arroz chino venezolano recipe: the conquest of the Venezuelan palate
Venezuelans like to say that their arroz chino is not “so Chinese” and that it is not served the same anywhere in the world, perhaps the fusion of flavors is so specific that it is only achieved with foods provided by their own land. You will have to find out!
Take note of this Venezuelan Chinese rice recipe and consider that you can use other types of meats if you wish. Also, use a wooden spoon so as not to alter its flavor every time you stir the ingredients.
Ingredients for the rice
- 2 cups of rice.
- 4 cups of water.
- Salt to taste (only a pinch is recommended).
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- 3 tablespoons of oil.
- 1 clove of garlic.
Ingredients for the dressing
- Soy sauce to taste (one serving is recommended).
- 4 garlic leaves.
- 2 large diced pork chops.
- 2 slices of bacon cut in strips.
- 2 cups of Chinese beans.
- 1 chicken breast cut in cubes.
- ½ cup oil.
- 1 tablespoon vinegar.
How to make Arroz Chino Venezolano: Let’s explain it to you in 3 steps!
- Our Venezuelan Chinese rice recipe begins by sautéing the garlic with two tablespoons of oil, making sure it is well crushed.
- Add the uncooked rice and stir it until it acquires a whitish tone.
- Once this step is completed, change the cooking pot. Remember that for two cups of rice, add two cups of water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring the pot to boil, when it reaches the maximum temperature, add the spoonful of vinegar and stir again.
- When the rice starts to dry out, it is a sign that it is starting to cook. If this happens, lower the temperature and cover the pot. Leave it like this for 30 minutes without moving it. This is the only way to obtain a loose and open rice.
- After 30 minutes, stir the rice and let it rest for another couple of minutes. When it is cool, store it in the refrigerator.
Tip: Some people choose to keep the rice for a full day and continue the recipe the next day.
- Heat the frying pan and pour in the oil. Then add the pieces of chicken breast and let it cook over medium-high heat until it gets consistency, don’t let it toast!
- When the chicken is hard, add the cutlet and stir everything.
- Now add soy sauce, stirring constantly.
- Now it’s time to add the bacon, chopped garlic and ham, stir, stir and stir!
- Add a little more soy sauce until the ingredients are painted black. The result should look blackened and with a slight sheen.
- You can add salt to taste and, optionally, corn or shrimp.
- Continuing with the arroz chino venezolano recipe, it is time to mix the rice and the sofrito. It is ideal that you use a large pan that allows the mixing of all the ingredients.
- Add the soy sauce until the mixture turns black.
- Keep stirring and add the tablespoon of vinegar.
- Add the Chinese beans and, when everything is well integrated, you can remove it from the heat and serve it. Enjoy!
Are you a lover of Chinese rice fused with Latin flavors? Try Peruvian chifa!
Ver esta publicación en Instagram
One of the richest and most versatile versions of Chinese fried rice is the arroz chaufa, the Peruvian adaptation of this delicious dish and the emblematic recipe of chifa gastronomy.
Although different presentations can be found, chaufa is usually prepared with vegetables, chicken, meat, suckling pig, shrimp, or with several of these ingredients at the same time, an explosion of flavors product of the cultural integrations between China and Peru!
For a long time, our country kept the recipe of this dish a secret. It was not until Peruvian gastronomy became one of the best destinations in the world, when it finally decided to expand to other parts of the world.
If you want to try it, our recommendation is to order it in your favorite chifa restaurant, owners of the authentic Chinese-Peruvian flavor, and bon appetit!
Want to eat arroz chino especial venezolano and you’re in Miami?
Ver esta publicación en Instagram
If you are in Miami and want to enjoy multiple versions of Chinese fried rice, your best option is Chifa Du Kang.
On our menu we have authentic Chinese-Peruvian fusion dishes that you will love, plus six different versions of chaufa rice. With just one bite, you will love our dishes immediately.
You can also enjoy other dishes of our gastronomy, such as Lomo Saltado and Tipakay Chicken. We are experts in their preparation and we put all our knowhow at the service of your experience.